‘The Ultimate Metallica Show’ Recap: Metallica’s Cover of Alice in Chains’ ‘Would?’
I was looking forward to this episode of The Ultimate Metallica Show all week.
We played a lot of great tunes, including a live track from Cain's Ballroom in 1986 and a demo of "Damage, Inc." from James Hetfield's legendary riff tape, but the song I was most excited for was Metallica's cover of Alice in Chains' "Would?".
The track first appeared on the Singles soundtrack and later on Alice in Chains' second studio LP, Dirt. Metallica decided to cover it as part of a huge celebration for Alice in Chains near the end of 2020. Alice in Chains received the Founders Award from Seattle's Museum of Pop Culture, and because of that, several bands joined together to honor them. Metallica's cover of "Would?" was officially released as part of their Vinyl Club, on the Blackened 2020 12-inch.
"Would?" is Jerry Cantrell's tribute to Andrew Wood, lead singer for Mother Love Bone. Wood died on March 16, 1990, after overdosing on heroin.
If you missed any part of the show this past weekend, you can check out the full recap below.
The Ultimate Metallica Show — Hour 1
- "The Unforgiven II" — Reload
- "Now That We're Dead" — Hardwired...to Self-Destruct
- "For Whom the Bell Tolls" — Live at Cain's Ballroom, Tulsa, Oklahoma, May 23, 1986
- "Free Speech For the Dumb" / "Die Die My Darling" — Garage Inc.
- "All Nightmare Long" — Death Magnetic
- "Ride the Lightning" — Cover by Halestorm, Reanimate 3.0: The Covers EP
- "Would?" — Blackened 2020
- "The Struggle Within" — "Writing in Progress" demo into the Metallica track
The Ultimate Metallica Show — Hour 2
- "Fade to Black" — Live at Webster Hall, New York, New York, Sept. 27, 2016
- "Phantom Lord" — Kill 'Em All
- "Damage, Inc." — "Riff Tape" demo into the Master of Puppets track
- "Thorn Within" — Load
- "Dyers Eve" — ...And Justice For All
- "Creeping Death" — Cover by Stone Sour, Meanwhile in Burbank...
- "Dirty Window" — Live at PNC Park, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Aug. 14, 2022
- "Hit the Lights" — Kill 'Em All
On the next Ultimate Metallica Show, we're going to celebrate Metallica's full set from their appearance at the 2016 Global Citizen Festival. They'll be headlining this year's festival on Saturday, Sept. 24.
Don't forget, if you want to help shape our playlist each week, make sure to hit me up in the Ultimate Metallica app with your requests.