‘The Ultimate Metallica Show’ Recap: Celebrating Lynyrd Skynyrd’s Gary Rossington
Since hearing the news of the passing of Lynyrd Skynyrd guitarist Gary Rossington, fans and peers across the world have been doing everything they can to celebrate his life and legacy. For The Ultimate Metallica Show, that meant turning to one of Metallica's most fun cover songs ever, their take on Skynyrd's "Tuesday's Gone."
But rather than spinning the studio recording from the first disc of Garage Inc., I decided to turn to a rare live performance of the cover for this past weekend's show. This particular recording came from Metallica's 30th-anniversary gigs at The Fillmore in San Francisco, and just like the studio recording, the performance included several special guests—including Rossington.
At one point, James Hetfield tosses it to him ahead of a solo, simply saying, "Mr. Gary."
If you missed any of the show, you can check out the full playlist below and stream it 24/7 right here.
The Ultimate Metallica Show — Hour 1
- "Enter Sandman" — Live at Flemington Racecourse, Melbourne, Australia, March 1, 2013
- "The Four Horsemen" — Live at Flemington Racecourse, Melbourne, Australia, March 1, 2013
- "Tuesday's Gone" — Live at The Fillmore, San Francisco, California, Dec. 9, 2011
- "So What" — Live at The Fillmore, San Francisco, California, Dec. 9, 2011
- "Bleeding Me" — Live at Parque Simón Bolívar, Bogota, Colombia, May 2, 1999
- "Fuel" — Live at Parque Simón Bolívar, Bogota, Colombia, May 2, 1999
- "Through the Never" — Live at The Metro, Chicago, Illinois, Sept. 20, 2021
- "Whiskey In the Jar" — Live at The Metro, Chicago, Illinois, Sept. 20, 2021
The Ultimate Metallica Show — Hour 2
- "Lux Æterna" — 72 Seasons
- "If Darkness Had a Son" — 72 Seasons
- "Until It Sleeps" — Load
- "The Outlaw Torn" — Load
- "Escape" — Ride the Lightning
- "Ride the Lightning" — Cover by Halestorm, Reanimate 3.0: The Covers EP
- "No Remorse" — Kill 'Em All
- "Hit the Lights" — Kill 'Em All
As always, drop me a message in the Ultimate Metallica app if you want to get some requests in for next week's show. It's as simple as that, I promise.