Judas Priest Assemble ‘The Chosen Few’ With Help From Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne + More
Judas Priest have influenced generations of heavy metal bands. Heck, Anthrax even named a song 'Judas Priest' on their forthcoming album, 'Worship Music.' So when it came time to assemble a new definitive collection of classic material, who better than guys like Metallica and Slash to pick the tracks?
Next month, Sony/Legacy will unleash 'The Chosen Few,' a brand new Priest "best of" handpicked by members of Pantera, Slipknot, Slayer, Korn, the Scorpions and more. Even fellow seminal icons Lemmy Kilmister, Alice Cooper and Ozzy Osbourne weighed in with selections for the set, which is due in stores on Oct. 11.
Rolling Stone reports that 'The Chosen Few' will also include explanations from each performer about how and why they chose their respective tracks, with Osbourne noting a particularly high note in 'The Ripper.' The album includes 'Dissident Aggressor,' which has been covered by Slayer. Steve Vai picked that track for 'The Chosen Few,' however, while Slayer guitarist Kerry King went with 1979's 'Delivering the Goods.'
Whitesnake singer David Coverdale and Lamb of God frontman Randy Blythe both chose 'The Green Manalishi,' which was actually originally recorded by Fleetwood Mac before Priest redefined it. The song has also been covered by the Melvins, Therion and Corrosion of Conformity, among others.
"This is a collection of songs chosen by our friends and respected peers," Priest singer Rob Halford tells Rolling Stone. "We hope all the metal maniacs out there will rock out to the tunes enjoyed by metal legends."
The album arrives in stores just one day before Judas Priest will begin their Epitaph Tour, which is being billed as a farewell trek of sorts. The band is also busy recording a new album for a 2012 release.
Judas Priest, 'The Chosen Few - Track Lising:
1. 'Diamonds and Rust' (1977) - chosen by Joe Elliott (Def Leppard)
2. 'Dissident Aggressor' (1977) - chosen by Steve Vai
3. 'Exciter' (1978) - chosen by Accept
4. 'Beyond The Realms of Death' (1978) - chosen by Lars Ulrich (Metallica)
5. 'Delivering the Goods' (1979) - chosen by Kerry King (Slayer)
6. 'The Green Manalishi (with the Two-Pronged Crown)' (1979) - chosen by David Coverdale (Whitesnake) & Randy Blythe (Lamb of God)
7. 'The Ripper' (1979) - chosen by Ozzy Osbourne
8. 'Victim of Changes' (1979) - chosen by James Hetfield (Metallica)
9. 'Breaking the Law' (1980) - chosen by Lemmy (Motorhead)
10. 'Rapid Fire' (1980) - chosen by Vinnie Paul (Pantera & Hell Yeah)
11. 'Grinder' (1980) - chosen by Zakk Wylde (Black Label Society)
12. 'Living After Midnight' (1980) - chosen by Alice Cooper & Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath)
13. 'Screaming for Vengeance' (1982) - chosen by Slash (Guns n Roses)
14. 'You’ve Got Another Thing Coming' (1982) - chosen by Klaus Meine (Scorpions) & Corey Taylor (Slipknot)
15. 'The Sentinel' (1984) - chosen by Chris Jericho
16. 'Turbo Lover' (1986) - chosen by Jonathan Davis (Korn)
17. 'Painkiller' (1990) - chosen by Joe Satriani